Sign In
/Style Library/ci_upload/7e3fc6db-fece-4dea-950c-ddf0a3a62d1en.png?rev=-262882405
Logo Image For Printing

Frequently Asked Questions - Payroll

Q. How is my bi-weekly pay calculated?

A. The gross bi-weekly pay is your annual salary divided by 26

Q. What is equalization pay and how is it calculated:

A. The equalization payment is paid out on the last day of school. The equalization payment is the balance of your annual salary that was accrued from your start date of that particular school year to the last day worked in June. Equalization is also paid when an employee takes a leave of absence or resigns prior to the end of the school year.

Q. Am I entitled to use absence code 11 for Family Illness?

A. The Family Illness Code 11 is applicable to TSU and OECTA members and is reduced from your accumulated sick leave only.

Q. Is it mandatory to contribute to the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan?

A. Yes, according to the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Act, anyone who is OCT certified, regardless of standing with the College, must contribute to the plan. Those on a Letter of Permission are also required to contribute to the plan.

Q. How does maintaining my status with the Ontario College of Teachers’ affect my pension?

A. Even if you are not in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Teachers’, you must still contribute to the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.

Q.  Who's responsibility is it to ensure that I remain in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers'? 

A. The Payroll Department is currently responsible for administering the annual deduction on behalf of the Ontario College of Teachers'.  This fee is automatically deducted from your pay in January of each year.  If you are a Supply Teacher, you will be invoiced directly by the Ontario College of Teachers'.  Should you be on leave during the month of January,  it is the responsibility of the Teacher during the leave (i.e., maternity leave, personal leave, etc.) to contact the Ontario College of Teachers' to make arrangements for paying the fee.  Failure to pay the fee, will result in losing your good status with OCT. For more information regarding any repercussions or possible penalties, please contact the Ontario College of Teachers' directly. 

Q:  How much would it cost to purchase the service credits for a period of absence and how do I apply for the purchase? 

A:  Application forms may be obtained from the Pension Plan Board or the Payroll Dept. The employee has to complete the "Personal reference" section in the form and forward it to the payroll department. The payroll department will complete the "Employer information" section and fax the application to the Pension Plan Board. The Pension Plan Board will calculate the cost of contributions, which depends on the date of application.  If the teacher applies within one year of their return to work after a leave, the teacher will be charged the cost of missed contributions plus the interest.  If the application is made after one year, the employee would be  charged at the actuarial cost for the contributions. The actuarial cost would be much more expensive than the regular interest cost. THE COST IS CALCULATED BY THE PENSION PLAN BOARD AND THE EMPLOYEE WOULD BE INFORMED BY THEM DIRECTLY.  ALSO, THE EMPLOYEE HAS TO SEND THE CONTRIBUTION DIRECTLY TO THE PENSION PLAN BOARD. For Maternity Leaves, the Payroll Department will invoice the employee directly for TPP contributions.

Q.  Why does my pay fluctuate between the first and the second pay of every month? 

A. The first pay of every month will be lower than the second because union dues and benefits are only deducted on the first pay of every month.  

Q.  Why is the amount in box 14 on my T4 slip different from my annual salary? 

A. In addition to your salary all taxable benefits are added to the income reported in box 14.  There may also be a difference in the salary reported in box 14 when compared to your annual salary because your salary is paid to you based on the school year but your earnings are reported on the T4 slip based on the calendar year.  There may be a difference in the number on teaching days from the school year to the calendar that will account for this difference.​