Sign In
schools bishopallen bishopallen B8ECFA1F-FDC2-419B-8FFB-8B9C48D63A4A 5871
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/e9e9a4cf-499e-4479-840e-882475b95ba6n.png?rev=718201934 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/790f21a4-b539-46a2-bf0a-31c134859900s.png?rev=384712061

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History and Tradition

Bishop Allen AcademyThe school was named after Bishop Francis V. Allen, Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Toronto from 1954 until his death in 1972. Bishop Allen was a man known for his firm commitment and support of Catholic education. Our community strives to express his vision of Catholic education, one that is rich in intellectual tradition and is relevant and powerful in its social message.

Bishop Allen Academy is situated on 14½ acres on a beautiful ravine that runs parallel to the Mimico Creek. This property was part of the original piece of land surveyed in the township of Etobicoke in 1793 which was set aside for the use of the government mill or the King's Mill which was located at the first rapids upstream from Lake Ontario. In 1961 the Etobicoke Board of Education decided on this site for the building of a high school, Kingsmill Vocational School.

In May 1988 seven public secondary schools were transferred to the Metropolitan Separate School Board. In November 1988 the Etobicoke Board of Education approved the transfer of the Kingsmill property to the Metropolitan Separate School Board. In September, 1989 Bishop Allen Academy opened its doors to the community beginning a new era of Catholic Education in south Etobicoke.