Sign In
schools blessedmargherita blessedmargherita 1176FC6C-A07B-445F-AC02-CD910BBBFCF9 5827
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/47408c83-3c94-4b12-b462-cd97dd91419an.png?rev=-283559532 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/8ce86791-6198-43d2-9538-49d370e7bf06s.png?rev=-1232575180

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition

Blessed Margherita of Citta di Castello Catholic School was opened as the fifth school in Saint Jane Frances Parish in September 1983 with just over 300 students. The former Spenvalley Public School building was leased from the Board of Education for the City of North York. The official opening and blessing of the school was held in June of 1984. Mass was con-celebrated by the then Bishop Ambrozic, Rev. Claudio Moser, pastor, and his associate Rev. Frank Jannetta.  In the summer of 2004, Blessed Margherita of Città di Castello was purchased by the Toronto Catholic District School Board.   Blessed Margherita School
 
The school was named for Margherita of Castello, an Italian woman born in 1287 to a young army officer Parisio, and his wife Lady Evilia, both members of noble and wealthy families. Born physically deformed and blind, Margherita survived rejection and abandonment by her family to become a model of Christian living of her time, and for us who serve young people in a school community bearing her name. Known for her great intelligence and spirituality she lived a vowed life as a member of a lay religious order associated with the Dominicans, serving the poorest of the poor in the prisons of Castello. Beatified in 1609, her feast day is April 13th.
 
Today we encourage our students to develop the values of commitment, generosity and perseverance, for which Margherita has been honoured by the Church.