SSLN PLAN FOR 2016-2017 Area 2
• Ease transition in grade 9 mathematics in terms of assessment with the 4 main pillars of learning as focus. Knowledge, Thinking, Communication and Application.
• Co-plan a unit test with an intermediate and secondary teachers. Format the test to depict what a student would see in high school.
• Unit test will be labelled with K,T,C,A accordingly with the consensus of the group.
• Initial meeting : Thursday Dec. 1, 2016 to choose chapter(s) to assess from the grade 8 Nelson text. Pair schools to ideally prepare 3 unit tests, listed below.
Chapter 10 – Angles and Triangles
Sherri Ludlow (OLP) /Donna Tulino (St. Elizabeth) with Carol-Ann Benincasa
Chapter 8 – Equations and Relationships
Nicole Macri (St. Marcellus)/Anthony De Medeiros (St. Gregs)/ Deanna Perricone (St. Eugene) with Dan Bissada
Chapter 11- Geometry and Measurement
Michael O’Neill (St. Clement)/Melissa Hlady (Mother Cabrini)/Roman Jozwik (Nativity) with Claudia Prospero
• Full Co-planning day Tuesday Jan. 17, 2017. Secondary and intermediate teacher co-write a unit test with solutions. All schools will share the unit test written by each group. Bring a memory stick.
• All elementary schools will administer the three tests to their students from February to
May of 2017 and mark them.
• End of May (half day/date TBD). Bring in sample tests of successes/failures. Intermediate teachers should photocopy the tests they wish to share with the network before handing them back to their students. Please white-out names.
• Identify gaps in learning; especially for the students recommended to take applied mathematics in grade 9.
• Reflection and next steps. Ideas shared will be compiled and distributed via email.