Sign In
schools msgrjohncorrigan msgrjohncorrigan 75EDD80E-7C2A-4D7E-B8E4-5630E6F88CD9 5820
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/1af9d801-0126-4661-8ae3-ee3d1b8f844cn.png?rev=1070586204 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/70717aa5-f06d-4e8d-a3f2-259628045a95s.png?rev=-1056528643

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition

Monsignor John Corrigan Catholic School opened in north Etobicoke on January 3, 1984. Its official opening and blessing was held on May 9, 1984. The school was named after Monsignor John Corrigan, a holy and dedicated priest who worked in the Toronto and surrounding dioceses for almost 60 years. John Francis Corrigan was born in Uptegrove, Ontario on May 28, 1896. He studied at Mara Public School, Orillia Collegiate, St. Michael's College and St. Augustine's Seminary. He was ordained priestMsgr. John Corrigan School by the Most Reverend Neil McNeil D.D. on May 29, 1920. Father Corrigan was appointed assistant pastor at Holy Family (Toronto), Holy Rosary (Thorold), St. Paul's (Toronto). He was parish priest at Stayner, Weston and Mimico. In 1946 he became spiritual director of St. Augustine's Seminary, a post he held for 20 years.
He was elected to the board of directors, Priests' Mutual Aid Society in 1961 and appointed a domestic prelate (monsignor) in 1963. He became chaplain at the house of Providence and archdiocesan director of the Priests' Eucharist League in 1966 (resigned in August 1968).
 
Monsignor Corrigan was devoted to his work and always had time for people. He had something good to say about everyone.
 
Monsignor John Corrigan died March 1, 1979. His challenge to us is to manifest a strong Catholic attitude towards labour (New Times - March 1, 1979).