June 12, 2013
We are excited to announce that the SMART START summer school program for grade 8 students transitioning into high school at Neil McNeil is fast approaching. SMART START will focus on Literacy, Numeracy, Media Arts and Physical Education; it will ensure that the incoming students are challenged and engaged in learning to help them to prepare for their transition into Neil McNeil.
Students can look forward to Fun Friday Excursions and meeting their new teachers and peers. All students who successfully complete this program will earn 1 secondary school credit.
SMART START will run from July 2 to July 26 2013. Registration will take place on the first day of classes (July 2nd) with a registration fee of $40.00 (cash only). Please have your son bring this money with them on the first day.
We look forward to working with your son this summer. Applications for SMART START are still available; please contact the Guidance Department at 416-393-5502.
First Day - Monday July 2, 2013
- We will start with an assembly in the Gym at 8:30 a.m.
The school day will be as follows:
Tentative Daily Time Table
8:30 – 9:00 Welcome/Ice Breaker/Team Building each morning
9:00 – 10:30 Period 1
10:30 – 10:45 Break
10:45 – 12:15 Period 2
12:15 – 1:00 Lunch
1:00 – 2: 30 Period 3
2:30 – 3:15 Tutorial Time/Drop Everything and Read
Students are reminded:
- Please bring $40 “cash only” on the first day of summer school for registration
- Dress appropriately for weather conditions; bring sun screen and a water bottle
- Running shoes must be worn for Physical education.
- ***Bring your lunch, there is no cafeteria service***
- Please keep all electronic devices at home.
- There is no set uniform for the SMART START program, however, the following articles of clothing are not permitted:
- sandals or flip flops
- tank tops
- T-shirts displaying inappropriate logos