Sign In
schools stcecilia stcecilia 53E16F14-8FF7-4344-A43C-12FA8278EDFF 5665
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/c141dd68-b5be-47a3-88a3-0a26012dddb9n.png?rev=-1400125875 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/5e1e753b-1172-4e59-b6f3-66e8188eff51s.png?rev=818058513

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition

Father Joseph McCann, a priest at St. Helen's Church, purchased land on Edwin Avenue in November 1887 to establish a new Catholic Church and school. Originally, the parish was to be named after St. Charles. According to historical records, however, the first school--a small wooden structure--was named St. Mary's.
 
In 1890, the school was replaced with a brick building and renamed St. Cecilia's. Legend has it that St. Cecilia, the patron saint of sacred music, was chosen as the new name because the Heintzman Piano factory stood in view, across the railway tracks, from the school. The present St. Cecilia's Church, at the corner of Annette Street and Pacific Avenue, was opened in 1909, replacing a smaller structure first occupied in 1895. Father Eugene Gallagher was the pastor.
 
The present St. Cecilia Catholic School, at the corner of Annette Street and Evelyn Avenue, opened in 1914 with additions in 1918, 1954 and 1964. The school's first teachers and administrators were the Loretto Nuns, who lived in the former Heintzman family residence at Annette and Laws Streets, providing another musical connection with St. Cecilia.

 

Today the proud tradition of Catholic education continues at historic St. Cecilia Catholic School, home of the Tigers!