Sign In
schools stfrancisofassisi stfrancisofassisi 03C8E0E1-EFB9-4B1D-9681-4A015AEE2EF8 5656
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/e6c023e4-e186-4f8f-a0c9-623bc0f4861dn.png?rev=1984698840

Toronto Catholic District School Board

History & Tradition

The original school was built in 1886, and is one of the six original parochial schools in the Archdiocese. The addition, built in 1965, was built to accommodate the great influx of Italian and Portuguese immigrants to the area. We are proud to have our school dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi.
 
The Story of St. Francis of Assisi
 
In 1182 a boy named Francis was born in the Italian city of Assisi to wealthy merchants who gave him all he wanted. Young Francis led a carefree life, but always gave money to beggars.
 
When he became a soldier, he soon saw how cruel war was and how poor people suffered. Francis abandoned his career and his wealth and began to serve God and the poor. He begged for food and then gave it to the hungry. His loving nature drew many followers and in 1209 the religious order of Franciscans was started.
 
St. Francis spoke about God in simple words so that everyone could understand. He started a tradition of having a crèche, a nativity scene at Christmas, so that people could see the joy of Christ's birth in a poor stable.
 
Our school is proud to bear his name.