Sign In
schools stgabriel stgabriel 9773B1C2-02ED-4FCA-8151-3ABFA6084540 5694
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/dc0be0dd-92ad-426a-944a-1963d71d3354n.png?rev=1800921514 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/960c5ea8-e697-4625-b2bc-ea5d860ce3dfs.png?rev=1583818082

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition


St. Gabriel Catholic School is named after “St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Virgin”, who was born in Assisi, Italy in 1838. St. Gabriel was a clever, loving, talented and accomplished marksman who had a profound devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. He recognized early in life the desire to follow God's will by becoming a Passionist priest. St. Gabriel died in 1862 at the young age of 24. He was beatified in 1903 and canonized in 1920. His feast day is February 27th. 
  

St. Gabriel​ Catholic School first opened its doors in 1953. The first six classrooms and other facilities of the school housed 210 students. Over the years, as North York grew, so did the school population, and several additions to the physical plant were made in 1956, 1963 and 1966. As the enrollment fluctuated and space became available, the North York administrative offices of the Toronto Catholic District School Board (formerly Metropolitan Separate School Board) occupied the original section of the building. A day care facility was added in 1986. The school population grew and reached 490 in 1993, creating a need to reclaim the original building.  On May 3, 1995, a re-blessing celebration of St. Gabriel School took place. The community was pleased to welcome back Mother St. Albert, the first principal of the school.

 

Our community, which encompasses home, school and parish, is active and dedicated to realizing our school mission statement. The staff endeavours to nurture the development of the physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs of the students in a Christ-centered environment.