Sign In
schools stjanefrances stjanefrances 7EE32193-E8E9-467C-9DA3-88EE3D72F794 5733
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/75833d2e-cffa-4ed8-ad10-0b77bb01a845n.png?rev=-533988374 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/be681e0b-bfa6-4857-882c-4b71abe98ba2s.png?rev=-471268509

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition

The school is named after Saint Jane Frances de Chantal (1572-1641) whose feast day is August 18. 

Saint Jane Frances Catholic School opened in October 1964 with a student population of 169 guided by a staff of seven, including the principal, John Raniowski.  An addition was completed in 1967. 

Early in 2000, when St. Camillo was slated to close, plans for construction at St. Jane Frances began.  A building committee was formed and it met with the architects on May 1, 2001 to view the schematic design and offer comments.  To keep the communities of St. Camillo and St. Jane Frances informed, a general meeting was held on May 28, 2002.  Present were the trustee for St. Jane Frances, the area superintendent, the Board project coordinator and the architects who made a presentation of the final drawings for the project. 

On October 7, 2002 students from grades 5 to 8 moved into 10 portables while all other classes and offices were relocated in the south wing.  Early in 2003 Torcom Construction was awarded the contract to build the new addition and retrofit the south wing of SJF.  On April 28, 2003 the demolition of the north wing was begun followed by the construction of a new three stories wing.  As enrolment increased specialty classes were moved into the church basement. In September 2004 classes and offices moved into the new wing.  Eight rooms on the second floor of the south wing were handed over for occupancy in mid-January 2005.