Sign In
schools stjohnbosco stjohnbosco BF6D2B44-9173-411B-B055-26C9C2AF815F 5740
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/67e221d0-b3fa-4e4e-bb2e-af3f87d68da8n.png?rev=-1458710115 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/7f570714-f7ec-434e-bdba-5c7d6e8aaa04s.png?rev=-274982896

Toronto Catholic District School Board

History & Tradition


The school was built in 1965, when it was originally called St. Sebastian with John Ferrigan as its first principal. In 1972, a new school opened with the same name and the original site was later renamed St. John Bosco Catholic School as the school was in St. John Bosco Parish. Enrollment for that year was 717 students, and Steve Loftus was principal.

St. John Bosco was a famous educator and caregiver to orphans. He was born on August 16, 1815 into a peasant family in Bechi, Italy. As a child he performed acrobatic tricks to get the attention of the neighbourhood children. In return for teaching them those tricks, he asked them to pray wit him. John Bosco worked his way through school as a carpenter, shoemaker, cook and farmer. He was ordained a priest on June 5, 1841 and thus began his great mission of helping boys without homes. Don Bosco died on January 31, 1888 and was canonized in 1934. He is recognized as the patron of youth and Catholic education around the world. St. John Bosco School tries to emulate this great saint in its Catholic teaching and in all school activities.


​​