Sign In
schools stnorbert stnorbert 0A3BBFD0-A2D7-48A9-9316-C5136E72DFB7 5744
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/9cf5d5bd-7fb2-4934-b1a5-9c0f31220eb5n.png?rev=-1184150028

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition
 
St. Norbert Catholic School is located in a thriving, established North York community bordered by the DeHavilland Air Force Base and near Yorkdale Shopping Center. Bus transportation is provided for many students living in the area south of Wilson Avenue and North of Hwy. #401.
 
St. Norbert School first opened its doors in welcome to 126 students on Tuesday, September 7, 1965. However, as the school was not totally completed, the students traveled by bus every day to St. Robert's School on Bainbridge Avenue. Both St. Norbert and St. Robert Schools were part of the St. Charles Borromeo Parish. At the beginning of November, 128 students, principal, secretary and four teachers (grade 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8) moved into St. Norbert School. The school was officially opened and solemnly blessed on March 16, 1966. As well, there was a blessing of the statue of St. Norbert, which had been obtained from the Norbertine Monastery at De Pere, Wisconsin, U.S.A. This statue still stands in our front hall. In 1968, St. Norbert Church opened and celebrated its first Mass. In 1969, St. Norbert won the school. of the year award. At one time in the 1970's, St. Norbert School had well over 400 students. The school celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1990 which served to highlight the many accomplishments of the students of St. Norbert.
 
Our graduates often return and express appreciation and pride in having attending St. Norbert's. There are a number of our present children whose parents are former graduates themselves.
 
Our school is dedicated to St. Norbert who was born at Xanten in the Rhineland in 1080. The early part of St. Norbert's life was devoted to the world and its pleasures. An accident became the occasion of a wonderful change of heart. He then became a sincere penitent. He received the priesthood at Cologne, then traveled from place to place preaching penance, finally settling at Premontre where he established the order of Premontstratensians. In 1125 St. Norbert became the Archbishop of Magdenburg and his zeal effected a great reformation. He died on June 6, 1134. We honour St. Norbert at a celebration on his feast day, June 6.