Sign In
schools strita strita 1CE48199-B3E7-47D9-876E-0F9C3140D914 5663
/schools/Style Library/ci_upload/d9d1a584-ae36-41a8-901d-9750a2b50441n.png?rev=1802450847 /schools/Style Library/ci_upload/0907c761-f3e9-4041-bc41-4e3a1d4ab969s.png?rev=1091593602

Toronto Catholic District School Board

School History And Tradition


A long history of sound Catholic education can be attributed to our Edwin Avenue site. Several school buildings have existed on this property since 1889. Originally named St. Cecilia Catholic School, then changed to St. James in 1915, the school was finally dedicated to St. Rita of Cascia, “Saint of the Impossible” in 1922.

St. Rita, a widow who became a nun, suffered much for her lifelong devotion, died on May 22, 1457 and was canonized in 1900.


Our present staff continues the tradition of providing a balanced program of academics, arts and Gospel values.