St. Sylvester Celebrates Beyond the Classroom
St. Sylvester Catholic School in Scarborough prepares to host an Education Night Event to celebrate a new experiential education initiative at the school--Beyond the Classroom. This program immerses students in authentic experiential learning by spending 3 to 5 days at an organization, learning from their experts, and engaging the students in developing inquiry questions centred around curriculum expectations.
Among the experiences in the first year were :
- Toronto Zoo – exploring biodiversity through a study of animal enrichment , animal behaviour, or zoo budget
- Responsible Government: Students learned about government budget, and the process of change. They were able to meet with local MPP, City Councillor and the Mayor. https://www.tcdsb.org/schools/stsylvester/beyondtheclassroom/Pages/Government--Experience--2.aspx
- Ciesok Media: Students learned about the intricacies of advertising, budgeting and how to capture a target audience. They also designed their own print, radio, or television ads. https://www.tcdsb.org/schools/stsylvester/beyondtheclassroom/Pages/Cieslok-Media-Experience-3.aspx
- Sick Kids Hospital: Students learned about careers in a hospital setting, the patient experience, hospital budget, and the future of health care. https://www.tcdsb.org/schools/stsylvester/beyondtheclassroom/pages/sick-kids-experience-4.aspx
- Nutrition: Students learned about the hospitality and culinary arts program and how to create healthy cost-effective menus. https://www.tcdsb.org/schools/stsylvester/beyondtheclassroom/Pages/Nutrition-Experience-5.aspx
The Education Night Event takes place on Thursday, May 18th starting at 6 :30 p.m., with a dress rehearsal that afternoon at 10 a.m. St Sylvester is located at 260 Silver Springs Boulevard.