At St. Margaret Catholic School, we pride ourselves on the strong partnership that exists among the home, the school and the parish.
We are committed to providing all of our students an education rooted in our Catholic faith and values, sensitive to social and emotional needs and focused on academic excellence. In attempting to meet this goal, we recognize that appropriate accommodations may be required for our students to succeed. In collaboration with parents, our students’ first teachers, we agree to any required modifications to a student’s school program.
St. Margaret Catholic School offers a middle Extended French program, beginning in grade 5 and continuing to grade 8. Students participating in this program are taught in French for half the day and in English for the other half. As well as French-language arts, the following subjects are taught in French: social studies/history/geography, physical education/health and visual arts.
Our school offers direct English language instruction to students newly arrived from non-English speaking countries. Students from other linguistic, cultural and educational environments who enter our school will require special support if they are to succeed. Our English as a second language (ESL) class assists students with the transition.
Co-curricular and extra-curricular activities help to round out a student’s school experience. At St. Margaret’s we’re fortunate to have staff members who make a variety of sports, music and leadership opportunities available before, during, and after school.
St. Margaret School opened in 1951 with classes being held in the basement of Blessed Sacrament School. On opening day, 67 students were registered, working with eight teachers. The school building on Carmichael Avenue opened in 1952 and an addition was completed in 1965.
The history of St. Margaret Church and St. Margaret Catholic School have been intertwined since the beginning. Our school is within St. Margaret's Parish which includes St. Margaret's Church and St. Eugene's Chapel. St. Eugene's Chapel, a sole country-like church in a busy city, was established in 1941 and continues to serve a thriving community of Catholic worshippers within the area.
St. Margaret's Church was established in 1951. Masses were celebrated at St. Eugene's Chapel and the St. Margaret Catholic School auditorium until the completion of the parish hall in October 1952. Construction of the church began in 1957 and on December 21, 1957 the formal opening and blessing by Cardinal McGuigan was held. The stained glass windows depicting our patroness, St. Margaret of Scotland, were donated by the staff and students of St. Margaret Catholic School. Margaret, who was born in Hungary in 1045, married a Scottish king and left her mark on Scotland by fostering religion and education among her people and promoting culture and works of charity.
Throughout our history, three traditions have prevailed:
Caring for others